No "business" can be conducted on the Hotel premises, including fighting and carrying out contracts on other assassins in the hotel; Ms. Perkins breaks this rule, incurring heavy penalties from the establishment including the revocation of her membership as well as her own death.
The Continental Hotel has its own rules, as stated above. A blood oath, once sworn, must be carried out, or those who don't hold up their end of the deal will face the death penalty. Killing the holder of the blood oath is, of course, unacceptable, as well as running away.
Helping or assisting excommunicado members is prohibited with harsh punishments ranging from physical injuries to death. The Director has her hand stabbed for helping John and the Bowery King's men are killed and he, himself is severely slashed for assisting John before his ex-communication.
While The High Table is the supreme authority in most cases, The Continental is an autonomous organization, and its various branch managers — Winston in New York and Julius in Rome, among others — have complete authority over Continental business. In fact, Winston may even have a history of pushing back against The High Table.
The Continental’s concierge can provide for almost any needs of their exclusive clientele. Some locations even board pets — just not in the New York branch.
After the Adjudicator declares deconsecration on the New York Continental, killing and execution of contracts were permitted on the hotel grounds. This decision was later reversed after a parley between Winston and the Adjudicator.
Administrative office Edit
The Continental Office is run and managed by a group of mainly tattooed female operators in vintage pink uniforms. They take orders from Winston in managing memberships of the Hotel.
To prevent hacking and ensure confidentiality, the office is outfitted with far-outdated Commodore 64 computer systems and wired rotary phone lines, although the screen output shows that the inner workings of the computers are not the original. The computers and phones are used to put out contracts, declare a member's excommunication, and perhaps send out all official communications emanating from the Continental.
The Continental Hotel has its own form of currency in the form of gold coins. As stated by Chad Stahelski and Dave Leitch, directors of both movies, in an interview with Screen Junkies there is no set value for these as they act more of a business card. The value of each coin can fluctuate depending on the person who holds it (i.e. John Wick's coins have more value than Addy's). Meaning the coins are used to store digital money on them.
These coins are only available for assassins, hitmen, mobsters and other people that involves in the underworld. Normal guests must pay by conventional means (i.e. money and credit card).
The Continental is also responsible for distributing more and new coins into circulation, acting as a sort of bank for the entire underworld.
- Hotel Services
- Weapons and ammunition supply: The Sommelier
- Fashion and body armor: The Seamstress and The Tailors
- Mapping: an unnamed map maker
- Transportation service (disguised as a regular taxi).
- Medical service: an unnamed black market doctor
- In house Barber/Hairdresser
This location does not have a history recorded yet.
- Addy (bartender)
- Charon (concierge)
- Winston (owner)
- The Sommelier (gun service)
- The Seamstress (Body armor service)
- The Tailor (Fashion and body armor service)
- An unknown map maker
- An unnamed black market doctor (Medical service)
Notes and TriviaEdit
- As the hotel utilizes Commodore 64 computers, it is possible that the Hotel has a very long history of establishment since the retro IT system they use was discontinued in 1994.
- It seems that all Continental employees recognize John Wick.
- Charon, in Greek mythology, serves as the ferryman into the Underworld; his position as Concierge at the Continental reflects that role in the John Wick universe.
- The real-life location of the New York Continental Hotel is The Beaver Building at 1 Wall Street in New York City.