The Continental is a chain of hotels located all around the world that function as a neutral territory for members of the criminal underworld. They are frequented by many hitmen and notorious murderers.
The Continental Hotel has its own rules.
First and foremost is a sanctuary; no "business" can be conducted on the Hotel premises, including fighting and carrying out contracts on other assassins in the hotel; Ms. Perkins breaks this rule, resulting in her revocation and execution. Although the rules are strict, they are not unjust. When Perkins tried to kill John Wick in his room, Charon asked if John needed a Dinner Reservation, meaning John would have been allowed to kill Perkins since it was self-defense as she tried to kill him first. In John Wick: Chapter 2, John himself breaks this rule by killing Santino D'Antonio in the Continental lounge. However, rather than having him executed like he did with Ms. Perkins, Winston gave him a marker and a 1-hour grace period before marking him excommunicado. He likely did this out of respect for John.
Everyone on the premises must pay for their presence in order to qualify for a sanctuary; this is usually invoked by booking a room, but if a member merely desires to use the facilities before moving on the same day - say, for a private meeting - purchasing a drink at the bar will earn sanctuary until the day's end.
A blood oath, once sworn, must be carried out, or those who don't hold up their end of the deal will face the death penalty. Killing the holder of the blood oath is, of course, unacceptable, as well as running away.
Helping or assisting excommunicado members is prohibited with harsh punishments ranging from physical injuries to death. The Director has her hand stabbed for helping John and the Bowery King's men are killed and he, himself is severely slashed for assisting John before his ex-communication.
While The High Table is the supreme authority in most cases, The Continental is an autonomous organization, and its various branch managers — Winston in New York, Julius in Rome and Sofia Al-Azwar in Casablanca, among others — have complete authority over Continental business. In fact, Winston may even have a history of pushing back against The High Table.
The Continental’s concierge can provide for almost any needs of their exclusive clientele. Some locations even board pets — just not in the New York branch.
After the Adjudicator declares deconsecration on the New York Continental, killing and execution of contracts were permitted on the hotel grounds. This decision was later revoked after a parley between Winston and the Adjudicator.
The Continental Office is run and managed by a group of mainly tattooed female operators in vintage pink uniforms. They take orders from Winston in managing memberships of the Hotel.
To prevent hacking and ensure confidentiality, the office is outfitted with far-outdated Commodore 64 computer systems and wired rotary phone lines, although the screen output shows that the inner workings of the computers are not the original. The computers and phones are used to put out contracts, declare a member's excommunication, and perhaps send out all official communications emanating from the Continental.
The Continental Hotel has its own form of currency in the form of gold coins. These coins are only available for assassins, hitmen, mobsters, and other people involved in the underworld. Normal guests must pay by conventional means (i.e. money and credit card).
The Continental is also responsible for distributing more and new coins into circulation, acting as a sort of bank for the entire underworld.
- Hotel Services:
- Weapons and ammunition supply: The Sommelier
- Fashion and body armor: The Seamstress and The Tailors
- Mapping: The Cartographer
- Transportation service (disguised as a regular taxi).
- Medical service: an unnamed black market doctor
- In house Barber/Hairdresser
Continental hotel NY is way older than we thought. Even before Wick, Winston, and Other Mafia Bosses. It is located at Manover ST. Block 23 207 7, Special District: (LM) Lower Manhattan of New York City.
Continental hotel NY was incorporated and opened in the Spring Month April Year 1904. And Registered on Dated 04/04/1904. The date and pic of opening clearly shows in Parabellum. When Winston and John both refused to kill each other, where the Adjudicator talks to the Administrator while giving the order of Deconsecrated.
- Winston (Owner of the chain and Manager of the New York Branch)
- Julius (manager of the Rome Branch)
- Sofia Al-Azwar (manager of the Casablanca Branch)
- Charon (concierge)
- Addy (bartender)
- The Sommelier (gun service)
- The Seamstress (Body armor service)
- The Tailor (Fashion and body armor service)
- The Cartographer (maps and blueprints service)
- An unnamed black market doctor (Medical service)
- Administration: The exterior and interior of the Continental consisting of an outside courtyard and an indoor lobby. It is run by Charon.
Notes and Trivia
- As the hotel utilizes Commodore 64 computers, it is possible that the Hotel has a very long history of establishment since the retro IT system they use was discontinued in 1994.
- It seems that all Continental employees recognize John Wick.
- Charon, in Greek mythology, serves as the ferryman into the Underworld; his position as Concierge at the Continental reflects that role in the John Wick universe.
- The real-life location of the New York Continental Hotel is The Beaver Building at 1 Wall Street Court in New York City.